Langsung ke konten utama

Blogger Read More/Post Summaries - The Best News Yet!

One of the functions most voted for in Blogger's recent Product Ideas forum was the ability to summarize blog posts on non-item pages.

I've written about a few different approaches to this, but these methods were never so easy to implement.

Luckily I came across this tutorial from Quite Random which offers the simplest - and most useful - method of displaying post summaries automatically for our Blogger posts, complete with a thumbnail from images used in our posts.


This customization is very easy to implement (there are literally only two steps) with very little editing of the template required. I installed with immediate success on several templates to test it out, and with only a little tweaking on one of my most customized designs.

In short, this is a fabulous implementation of post summaries for Blogger. Be sure to pop over to Quite Random to check out this post and learn how to install this hack for your own Blogger blogs.

However... This is not my only source of good news regarding post summaries for Blogger!

The Blogger team are in the process of implementing this function in Blogger! Or at least, I'm pretty certain they are.

Take a look at this screenshot which was taken from a clean installation of Minima (a default Blogger template) on a new blog (click the image for a larger version):

These tags look suspiciously like tags which could be used for implementation of post summaries. What's more, it seems we can choose whether or not to summarize our posts, and also the text used for the link to read the full article.

I can't say for sure when this implementation will become available, though I believe this will first be rolled out into Blogger in Draft so any issues can be resolved before the summaries become available to us all.

There's not yet been any mention about this on the Blogger in Draft blog, Blogger Buzz or even by the team on Twitter, but since this code is now appearing in new templates I'd guess this will become available in the very near future.

Stay tuned, I'll get more news about this as it happens and will (of course) explain how to use summaries in customized templates too.

This is a feature I'm very excited to know is in progress, so if anyone does have any news to share, please let me know!

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Google Blogger For Dummies To Be Released In February!

If you're familiar with the "Dummies" series of books, you'll understand how helpful and insightful these textbooks can be in dealing with any subject. That being said, I'm happy to announce that Google Blogger for Dummies is due to hit bookshops on February 3rd. It's available to pre-order now from Amazon.com  (priced at $16.49) and will be available in Barnes and Noble, Waterstones and other bookshops, and also directly from Wiley. The author, Susan Gunelius, has been kind enough to send me a 60 page preview of this book, complete with a full and detailed table of contents and two sample chapters for my preliminary review. Also, when the book is released early next month, Susan has graciously offered me a copy of the book so that I can review it in it's entirety and offer readers my insights. What Google Blogger for Dummies will cover Being a "Dummies" guide, Google Blogger for Dummies will cover both the basics of using Blogger (crea...

Introducing Gadgetsforblogger.Com - A Searchable Directory Of Gadgets For Blogger

Gadget directory , I've been keeping track of new submissions and developing several gadgets of my own . While Blogger's directory is searchable, I realised that many bloggers would find descriptive reviews, screenshots, developer details and installation instructions a useful addition to the brief descriptions offered in the directory listings. So I decided to create Gadgets for Blogger - a searchable directory of gadgets which have been developed specifically for the Blogger platform. Each gadget listed in this directory features: The gadget title A full description of the gadget Screenshot of the gadget in action Details of ads included in the gadget (where applicable) Contact/website details of the gadget developer (where possible)  Quick install link, to add the gadget to your blog without having to navigate to your Blogger dashboard and through various menus to locate the installation link. All gadgets listed on Gadgets for Blogger have been tested first, t...

16 Useful Twitter Tools For Blogger

Since it's launch back in 2006, Twitter has become a leading pioneer in the world of social media. Bloggers in particular find this service an invaluable tool for syndication, news stories and community conversation. For this post, I have rounded up 16 of the most useful tools, tips and free resources to help you get the most out of Twitter through your Blogger powered blog. Display your Latest Tweets Visitors to your blog may also enjoy reading your Tweets, particularly if they are of relevance to your blog's niche subject. Here is a selection of the best tools for displaying Twitter updates in your Blogger layout: The Official Twitter Badges Twitter provides an animated "Profile" badge which you can use to display your latest updates as a widget in your blog layout: You can configure the size, colours and number of updates for your badge in the settings, then grab the code which can be pasted in an HTML/JavaScript widget in your Blogger layout page. Ano...